A FELLOW SOUTH AFRICAN DJ ROCKING OUR SHOW THIS WEEK with a live set from his gig at WeLove, Sydney! JATEEN.
We’re excited to host a fellow South African on our show this week. Meet Jateen. from Port Elizabeth, South Africa. A talented, passionate artist who’s making big waves in the music scene down in Australia ;).
He took time out to let us into his journey of truth. Here’s what he has to share with the world.
- How did it all start for you? I’ve been a fulltime DJ since 2003 in South Africa, and in Sydney from 2015, but the Jateen. Alias is new (March 2018). It started as an avenue to release and play the music I’ve really been loving, which would be more of the melodic tech vibe.
- What do you love playing the most? More eclectic sounds, what I like to call “6am music”, stuff that will take you on a journey, without being too dreamy, and still very dance floor friendly.
- Who’s your muse in the music world? Way too many to mention but from South African roots though Kyle Watson, Ryan Murgatroyd and Goldfish is top of mind.
- Favourite quote? “You didn’t wake up today to be a doos… Be Lekker”
- How would you describe the dance scene in Sydney? Vibing! The general Australian public see’s sydneys scene as all doom and gloom but being in it, there’s always something dope happening with an abundance of world class talent!
- What single night out has been the most memorable for you? As a DJ? Season X at the Bridge – a couple of months ago, playing to a packed out floor from 6am, was just magical! As an attendee.
- What are your future plans for your music career? I’m focusing on the Jateen. releases right now. I want to get a couple of EP’s out then really push for gigs after that. Also in the midst of introducing an exciting new live act with Soulscope (Hang Drum/Percussion/Controllerism).
- What is your advice to emerging talent and how they can set aside any fears and pursue their dreams with courage? Confidence, Confidence, confidence! 1st get good enough to know for a fact that you can get a crowd moving, then from there go out an conquer. As an entertainer you’re the one setting the vibe for a room full of people, nobody wants to look up and see someone who looks unsure of themselves. So even if you have to fake it at first, put on a face that shows you’re in control!
- Favourite holiday destination? So far.. Fiji, Cloud 9!
- What are the things that bugs you about the DJ scene? n/a
- Name one track that never gets old for you no matter how many times you hear it? John Tejada – At The End Of It All
- Where can readers find you online?
- If you could get eternally stuck in one year’s music scene, which year would that be? Undoubtedly 1979!!!
- Any parting thoughts for emerging artists? Be in it for the right reasons.
Thanks for being our guest this week Jateen.!
Keen to raise our planet’s vibration and drop a set – email@example.com
Sharm Pillay – DJ, Writer, Starseed
SEKSiCuLLTURE NEXT LEVEL – Awakening Hearts